Our hearing practitioner uses a soundproof testing booth for all adult hearing tests. Impedance testing will be administered first; an impedance test measures the mobility of your eardrum. It helps to identify middle ear issues, such as fluid collecting behind the eardrum. Hearing tests are complimentary at Ultima Hearing Centre.
Air conduction audiometry will be performed to assess how softly you can hear at different pitches; this assessment ultimately determines if you have a hearing loss. Speech audiometry will subsequently be conducted to see how well you can recognize words in quiet environments, as well as whether you can follow sentences with background noise. These tests can predict how well you may benefit from using hearing aids. Lastly, bone conduction audiometry will offer some insight into the type of hearing loss you may have (sensorineural, conductive, or mixed).
If further investigation about the hearing loss is required, we will refer you back to your family doctor or specialist with recommendations.
A hearing aid will only be recommended if the patient’s hearing loss is evident, and it will improve the patient’s hearing.
If you answer “yes” to two or more of these questions, you may be experiencing symptoms related to hearing loss. Please take a proactive approach to your health, and schedule a complimentary hearing test at Ultima Hearing Centre.
- Do you experience ringing in your ears?
- Do you have problems hearing people on the telephone?
- Do you have any history of hearing loss in your family?
- Do people comment on how loud you listen to the television or radio?
- Do you often ask people to repeat themselves because their speech is not clear?
- Do you feel that other people are mumbling?
- Do you have problems understanding people when there is background noise?
- Do you have trouble following conversation when there is more than one person talking?
- Is it difficult to understand people when they are not facing you?
- Have you ever been exposed to loud noises?